Time tracking software or timesheet software
is accounting software which is used to maintain timesheets
for each person in a company. Such software allows employees
to enter their time, which can be approved/rejected by supervisors
or project managers.
Most time tracking software is commercial
or shareware, very few offer free alternatives.
Time tracking software may be:
- Standalone - used only to record
timesheets, and generate reports
- Integrated into accounting system
- where timesheet data is directly fed into company accounts
- Integrated into billing system -
used to generate invoices, especially used by contractors
and professionals such as lawyers
- Integrated into project management systems
- timesheet data is used in project management software
to graph the effort being spent on each project or task.